It is above all necessary that the PhD Organisation Committee or respectively the Dean of Research approves your research proposal and thereby registers you as a PhD student. In this step, it will be controlled whether or not you meet the necessarily required conditions.
Subject of Research and Supervision
Before making a formal application, you should primarily have a clear idea about the area in which you intend to conduct research and discuss this with your supervisor.
In § 6 of our Research Degree Regulations you can find detailed information on the formal conditions. Generally, you should have studied one of the course programmes of our faculty and you should have accomplished your studies with above-average results. However, in the end it is the PhD Organisation Committee which decides over the admission of a prospective PhD student who does not fulfil the formal conditions.
If you have for instance studied a course programme that our faculty does not offer or if your final grade does not meet the formal conditions, you can contact us here.
- an informal application to enrol for doctoral studies
- a copy of your degree certificates. Applicants who did not graduate at Leibniz Universität Hannover, have to necessarily submit certified qualification documents
- a certified proof of identity
- a CV in tabular form
- a research proposal (outlining your interest of research; this document needs to be signed by the advisor)
- the PhD agreement
- time scheduling
- the confirmation that you have neither already applied for the admission of doctoral studies at Leibniz Universität Hannover nor at another university or respectively, that you have never been involved in a PhD project before. You can equally refer to these information within your approval application.
- Letter of agreement
Please send the required documents to the Research Office of the Faculty of Humanities.
If you meet the formal conditions for the admission to doctoral studies, the admission can be approved within a couple of working days. If this is not the case, the Research Committee, which meets several times per semester, still has to consult. Please find the current appointments here.
According to §9 of the Lower Saxony Higher Education Act (NHG), PhD students have to enroll at the university.
In order to enroll as a PhD student or to change the subject (only if you are already enrolled at Leibniz Universität Hannover), the admission of our faculty is the key condition. Please find further information on the websites of the Admissions Office.
You would like to enroll for doctoral studies, but unfortunately you do still not have all necessarily required documents for the final admission? Generally, we can approve you for one semester, so that you will be able to officially enroll until the end of this period.
Further information will be provided by the Research Office.